Financial difficulty is when your income is insufficient to cover reasonable living expenses and meet financial commitments. People can find themselves in financial difficulty for many reasons. It can be caused by life changes like losing a job, going through a divorce, or maybe we can help you manage your money a little better.
If you believe that you are experiencing, or will experience, financial difficulties, it is important that you get in touch with us as soon as possible:
- You can contact your nearest branch to speak to one of our branch staff who can arrange a free review at a time that suits you.
- If you prefer you could call us
- If you are a Private Banking customer please contact your Private Banking Manager
How can we help?
What will happen to me if I am in financial difficulty?
We will work with you to get a clear understanding of your full financial position. This will then help us to decide together the best way to help you. There might be savings and changes to your current banking that you can make straight away.
We can also help by:
- Offering services to help you manage your finances more effectively such as alerts when your balance falls below a specific amount. Find out more about our Mobile App.
- Reviewing the products you have with us to make sure that they are appropriate and still fulfil your banking needs. For example, you may want to change your account to one which does not allow you to go overdrawn
- Reviewing automated transactions e.g. direct debits and standing orders on your account
- Returning and cancelling your cheque books
As a result of our review and depending on your specific circumstances we may also identify options to provide additional support, including:
- Where possible, agreeing a manageable repayment plan which you can afford, to help get your finances back on track
- Reviewing charges applied to your account including, in some cases, stopping future charges for a period of time where appropriate to your individual circumstances
- Providing you with contact details for organisations which can give you independent money advice for free