Bank accounts for those living outside the UK but within the EU
Do you live in the EU, but outside the UK?
You could still be able to open a bank account with us. Start by having a look at the accounts we offer and decide if any of these are suitable for you.
To apply for our Select account you must be 18+ and an EU resident (living outside the UK). To apply for our Student account you must be living in the UK and you must be either completing a full-time undergraduate course that lasts at least 2 years; a full-time post-graduate course or training as a nurse at a UK university or college of higher education. You need to be 18+ to apply for an Arranged Overdraft.
Any payment or withdrawal made from your account which is not in sterling (including any cash withdrawal at an ATM) will incur charges.
Accounts we offer…
Foundation account - in detail
A simple account to help you take control of your finances. No monthly fee.
Mobile Banking is available to Digital Banking customers with a UK mobile number.
Our everyday account
Student account - in detail
- Get a free National Express Young Persons Coachcard when you sign up to Digital Banking and select to receive paperless statements.
- A Visa debit card
- An easy to use Mobile Banking app.
Our Mobile Banking app is available to Digital Banking customers with a UK mobile number.
What we need...
Proof of identity
Proof of ID - in detail
You can use certified copies of one of the following documents to prove your identity:
- UK/EU/EEA Passport- a valid visa is required in addition for all other passports, or
- UK/EU/EEA photo card driving licence, or
- EU/EEA National Identity Card (if applicable)
Proof of address
Acceptable documents - in detail
You can use one of the following documents to prove your address:
- A gas/electricity/home telephone/water bill (which must be less than six months old and cannot be printed from the internet), or
- A mortgage statement (which is less than 12 months old and cannot be printed from the internet), or
- A bank statement from another banking institution (which must be less than 6 months old and cannot be printed from the internet), or
- UK/EU/EEA photo card driving licence (providing this hasn't been used to prove your identity)
Proof of your Student status
Student status - in detail
All documents must be on headed paper and match the address on your application:
- UCAS/NMAS Letter. This must include the UCAS/NMAS application number
- Student Loan Company/LEA/SAAS Award Letter
- Letter of Acceptance. This must be issued by a Government /LEA/SAAS funded University or College and the course must have a least six months left to run unless it’s an English course